Welcome

This is a collection of written pieces that comes from things I’ve thought and experienced; occasionally they are illustrated with photos that I’ve taken. They are here because I want people to enjoy them. This is a sort of print performance and as with other kinds of performance it is a meaningless exercise without an audience. So be my audience ...

Wednesday 25 September 2013

POEM - INADEQUATE INSULATION


My roof is proof against the rain.
Rockwool fills the walls of my house,
Rests thickly on the joists of its loft.
The glass of its windows is double thick.
They lock securely as do the doors,
So only I may leave or enter,
And warmth is captured here with me.
Those doors and windows permit no creature
To enter and to make its home with me,
Apart from spiders which have been here
I think, before the house was built.
There is no sound within this house
Unless it comes from within this house.
No sound of children’s laughter from outside,
No sound of waste collecting vultures on the road.
No birdsong or the horrid cackle of the magpie.
This is an insulated place.
It is a warm and quiet place and I like it.
But sadness overcomes or infiltrates
These manmade barriers. It finds its way
Into the heart of me and leaves me numb.
I think of what was once and then was not
And never more will be.
Warmth and silence is not enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment