Welcome

This is a collection of written pieces that comes from things I’ve thought and experienced; occasionally they are illustrated with photos that I’ve taken. They are here because I want people to enjoy them. This is a sort of print performance and as with other kinds of performance it is a meaningless exercise without an audience. So be my audience ...

Wednesday 18 September 2013

POEM - L'IDYLLE MOUILLÉE


FRENCH FROGS - A POEM


There was a time, early in Spring, when frogs made their way, nocturnally, up the hill to my garden and the pond where they have spawned for years. They come no more. I don't know why. But they are missed. This is the only poem I have ever written in French  and I did this simply because I could and had never done it before. It was set to music by Dominic Sewell and performed in St. Cyprian's church, London by the Japanese soprano, Akiko Enomoto.
 
If you go to the bottom of the list of posts (to the left) you will find an English translation.
 

L'IDYLLE MOUILLÉE
 
La nuit est noire,
L’atmosphere est mouillée.
Plus que mouillée, c’est trempée.
Il pleut.
Dans la noirceur
Et dans la pluie
 Les grenouilles sont rassemblées.
Elles attendent le moment,
L’instant,
Le mot ‘Avancez!’.
Elles l’écoutent et elles avancent.
Une par une,
Males et femelles.
Chacune solitaire.
Elles marchent lentement.
Grosses et grasses.
Au lac et sa profondeur.
Là, elles plongent
Et elles attendent leurs amours pour la nuit,
Le jour prochain, la semaine, peut-être,
Mais pas pour la vie.
Ce sera une idylle de saison.

No comments:

Post a Comment