Welcome

This is a collection of written pieces that comes from things I’ve thought and experienced; occasionally they are illustrated with photos that I’ve taken. They are here because I want people to enjoy them. This is a sort of print performance and as with other kinds of performance it is a meaningless exercise without an audience. So be my audience ...

Friday 26 August 2011

ODD OUNDLE (2)

Here is a much older Oundle oddity. This piece of advertising ephemera has been bolted to the wall outside the chemist shop in the main street for as long as I can remember – and that includes my time at school here in Oundle. The product, Brooklax, was taken off the market when it was revealed that its principal active constituent was a carcinogen, phenolphthalein – but the enamelled sign, once containing a working thermometer, long since broken, was never taken off the wall. It probably has an Ebay value but, in true Oundle tradition, no-one is interested in seeing what that might be.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete